2015/06/14

SUPERFOOD SUNDAY: Avocado

I though of creating a series of posts devoted to different foods containing loads of  health benefits that not many people are aware of. Hopefully, I could share some of my knowledge gained through years of reading, research and experience.




Today's post will be about AVOCADO. I must admit I never liked this fruit before, I found it a bit tasteless and boring. The first time I tried it was in a vegetarian sushi roll. Basically, algae, rice and avocado. I hated it.
Later I heard somewhere about a "healthy Nutella" and the main ingredient was avocado. Since always I was a huge fan of chocolate in any form. Unfortunately, as you probably know, eating jars of Nutella is not all that healthy for you hence I decided to try making this healthy substitute. To my surprise it was delicious! (It's really simple, 1 avocado, 2 table spoons of cocoa powder, 3 tablespoons of honey, 1 table spoon of hazelnut powder optional, blend and done!) This is how my journey with avocado begun. It was followed by guacamole, avocado butter or just as a simple addition to salads.

Enough about me. Now onto some health benefits. Avocado origins from Mexico and Central America. It is high in calories and fats, however, these are goods fats such as omega-3 and monounsaturated fat. They lower LDL (bad cholesterol) and prevent from tumors or several cancers. This fruit is also rich in: 

- potassium (lowers risk of heart disease and heals the nervous system)
- vitamin C, A, E (strong antioxidants, anti-tumor)
- vitamin B (source of folic acid, especially important during pregnancy)
- vitamin K (helps with calcium assimilation and proper blood clotting) 
- lutein & zeaxanthin (important for proper functioning of eyes)

/If you are trying to loose weight, you shouldn't eat avocado/

HOW TO EAT IT?

  • First and foremost, when you are buying avocado remember it needs time to ripe (yes you should eat it when it is slightly ripe), perfect avocado should be somewhat soft and dark .
  • When you cut it open it can turn dark very quickly, to prevent it add lemon juice or salt (this will also enhance its taste) .
  • If you want your avocado to ripe faster you can place it in a paper bag .

 Avocado can be used to prepare Guacamole (Mexican "Salsa"), instead of butter, addition to salads, addition to smoothies, healthy Nutella etc.


Guacamole
 

No comments:

Post a Comment