2015/12/04

Apple Mash Breakfast - Vegan

I am starting to get bored with eating yogurt and muesli for every breakfast. Yes, sometimes I switch things up and add strawberries on top in stead of a banana but all in all the base is always the same - yogurt, muesli and chia or/and flax seeds. 

Recently, I though why not try something different. It is apple season and I have found a store where I get a great deal on apples, 10 for 1 pound! And what is best it also applies to green apples which I prefer over the red once. However, for this recipe I would strongly suggest using the red fruit as it is sweeter. So what is the breakfast I am talking about? A simple apple mash. Great for autumn mornings as it can be served warm.




I know fruits are loaded with fructose and therefore it is believed they will give you a rapid energy boost for a short time and you probably will not get full for long. But! I tried it and to be completely honest I reckon I did not think about lunch for longer then I usually did when I was eating yogurt. I would say, try it, and see what is best for you. It only takes around 15 minutes anyway.
Also topping is completely up to you!

Ingredients
  • 2 apples
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 ts of cinnamon 

    topping I used:
  • half an apple (green one)
  • quarter of a melon
  • 1 ts of chia seeds
  • honey

Recipe

1. Pour water to a small pot to cover the bottom, around 1cm. Bring it to boil.
2. Meanwhile, peal and chop your apples. I would say the smaller the better - takes less time.
3. When the water is boiled add the apples and let it cook for 10min. Stir it every now and then.
4. When the apples are soft add salt (a pinch or even two) this will bring out the sweet taste of the fruit.  Then add cinnamon (if you do not like it, just don't add it). Mix everything in. 
5. Pour it into a bowl and blend with a hand mixer (if you don't own one, you can mash it with a fork or a potato masher).
6. Add topping of liking. I added melon, chia seeds, fresh apple and drizzled it with honey.


I know it is extremely simple but the taste is so much different to what I normally had for breakfast. I think apple mash is underestimated! Not only the fruits, apart from fructose, have a lot of vitamins and fiber but also are delicious! If you are vegan, honey can be substituted with things such as maple syrup or agave syrup. Hope you will enjoy it.







No comments:

Post a Comment